How to Design the Perfect Morning RoutineOctober 8, 2020
The idea of the perfect day is nothing new and as many self-help gurus and authors will tell you, it all starts with your morning. You’ve probably heard the saying, ‘Got out of bed on the wrong side today’, so there is some truth to the idea that the morning can help set you up for a good day. However, if mismanaged, it can also set you up for a bad day.
If you’re looking to give your routine a facelift, we recommend starting with small changes. Steve Corona, known for his 30-day self-experiments, recommends you build your routine with a number of habits. On his blog, he outlines his method by having readers choose four habits to make up their routine and start them the following day.
Corona says to pick four habits from the following list:
- Wake up at 5AM
- Drink a tall glass of water as soon as you get out of bed
- Make your bed immediately
- Do 20 pushups as soon as you get out of bed
- Eat a protein and fat rich breakfast within 30 minutes of getting up
- Run a mile every single morning
- Take your multivitamins everyday
- Floss after breakfast
- Do Blue Light Therapy to wake yourself up
- Take a bath in the morning
- Take a cold shower in the morning (it sucks but you feel AWESOME after)
- Write a blog post every single morning
- Write down 10 ideas
- Write a journal entry
- Write 250-1000 words on any topic
- Keep a daily gratitude journal
- Plan your entire day in 15-60 minute increments
- Lay out your clothes for the day
- Dress your absolute best for the day (EVEN if you work from home)
From here, you should take these four habits and do them for 30 days straight, no matter what. If you forget or miss a day, do 31 days of the routine instead.
After this experiment, you’ll have a better idea of what your morning needs. Maybe you loved the exercise aspect, but you do your best writing in the afternoon. Pivot the routine so it makes sense for you and what you need out of your day.
Developing productive morning habits is easier than you think! For more lifestyle design tips follow our blog.